Tuesday 18 November 2008

Hegemonic or Pluralistic?

In my opinion the pluralistic model is the one that influences me, as I feel that everything has more than one meaning such as all media related things (text, sound, images etc), this is also known as polyvalent. I further believe that uses and gratifications theory is the main ideology as I feel that media is only really made to escape (some media texts allow the user to escape from reality), social interaction (people create personal relationships with the characters in a media text), identify (people often identify a part of themselves in a media text, either through character or circumstance), inform and educate (the audience gain an understanding of the world around them by consuming a media text) and to entertain (consumed purely for entertainment purposes, meaning that text need not have any other gratifications). Furthermore this creates an active audience as I watch and read media things according to any of the uses and gratifications theory.

No comments: